The Municipality of Elena is located in the north-central part of Bulgaria and it is included in the administrative-territorial boundaries of Veliko Tarnovo province. The Municipality of Elena borders the municipalities of Zlataritza, Veliko Tarnovo, Antonovo, Sliven, Tvarditsa and Gurkovo.
The administrative centre of the municipality is the town of Elena. It is located in the foothills of the Elena Balkan mountain range near the valley of the Elena river. On the north, it stretches to the Elena heights and on the south to the Balkan mountain range. North of the town is located the Chukansko ridge. Beyond it, there are several heights, made from limestone, marl and sandstones.
The centre of the municipality is 41km from the centre of the province Veliko Tarnovo; 20km from Zlataritsa; 71km from Antonovo; 75km from Kotel; 79km from Sliven. The density of the road network in the municipality of Elena is 0,66 km/ km2 which is over the average for the country but the roads are of a low category. The territory of Elena municipality is 671,39 km2.
The territory of Elena municipality consists mainly of hilly and mountainous terrain, and from the north to the south it slowly turns from hilly or low-lying to mountainous. Some of the more significant morphological elements are the Elena heights, the Elena basin and parts of the Eleno-Tvardishki part of the Balkan mountain range.
The river network in the municipality consists of the catchment areas of the rivers Zlatarishka, Dzulyunitsa, Bebrovska, Veselina and Kostelska.
The municipality is within the borders of North and Southeastern Bulgaria of level NUTS1, the North – central region of level NUTS2, and the region of Veliko Tarnovo of level NUTS3 according to the general classification for statistical purposes of territorial units NUTS and the Regional Development Act of the Republic of Bulgaria.
Territorially speaking, the municipality has not changed its territory in the period 2007-2012. It is still one of the municipalities with the biggest number of settlements – 124.
Copyright Elena municipality
Every traveller from the past whose road went through Dobrudzha would recognise today’s Medgidia as the main settlement located between Dobrudzha and the Black sea, in the valley of Karasu. There are several settlements in the valley– Cherna voda, Mircha voda, Poarta Alba, Castelu, Peshtera, Cobadin, Kuza voda, Murfaltar, Tortoman, Silishtea, Mereny, Saligni. The valley of Cerasu was a big administrative part and the whole region gravitated to the most developed settlements – the present-day Medgidia municipality and the fair in Cerasu which are still very attractive. For a long time, Cerasu was mistaken for the Municipality of Tekfurgyolu as both names have the same meaning – black water. Famous cartographers and adventurers like Martin Gruneveg (1582), Paolo Dzhordzho (1590), Trifon Korobeinikov (1593), Yanus Dusa (1597), Nikolaus Visher (1640), Evliya Chelebi (1653), Obri dyo la Motre, Francis Goscienski (1712-1714), Filipe Orlik (1722), Rugiero Dzhuzepe Boskovich (1761-1762), Johan Mathias Hasse (1774) mention in their travelogues not only the Cerasu valley but also the settlement. In 1752 sultan Mahmud I recognised the existence of a fair on the hill of Panagir in the village of Cerasu and after that is mentioned in the list of villages where fairs were organised.
Cerasu has gone through many ups and downs in its history from its announcement as a fair centre to the elections for the first Municipal Council of Medgidia in 1878 when the town was included in the borders of Romania. Despite the hard times, Cerasu has preserved its population and location, where Medgidia is today.
Medgidia is a minicipal centre of Constanta, Dobrudzha, Romania. It is located in the center of the South Dobrudzha plateu (the plateu of Medgidia). There are three settlements in the minicipality – the town of Medgidia and the villages of Remus Opreanu and Valea Dachilor.
Initially, Medgidia governed the whole administrative unit including the local settlements. In 1926 the network of settlements around Medgidia included: Poarta Alba, Valea Dacilor, Castelu, Peshtera, Cobadin, Kuza voda, Murfatlar, Remus Opreanu, Tortoman, Silistea, Mereni, Saligni.
In 1989, as a result of the new administrative development, the town was made a municipality centre. In 1994 the municipality of Medgidia took its modern administrative role and now it also includes the villages Remus Opreanu and Valea Dacilor.
The municipality of Medgidia has an area of 90,17 km2 and consists of Medgidia and the villages Remus Opreanu and Valea Dacilor and is located in the south-west part of Romania in the middle of the Dobrudzha plateau. It is located 200km east of the capital Bucharest, 39km from Constanta, 144km from Tulcha and 39km from Vama Veche.
The main transport arteries and centres are the Danube – Black sea canal, the train tracks Bucharest – Constanta, Bucharest – Tulcha, Constanta – Negru voda, the primary road 22C, the motorway A2, Bucharest – Constanta, the municipal roads 222, 224, 381, “Michail Kogulnicanu” airport (in a distance of about 20-25 minutes). They turn Medgidia into a transport centre.
The municipality can be found at the following coordinates – 44° 15’1’’n.l and 28° 15’41’’ e.l. and 69,54 metres altitude.
Close settlements are Nisipari – 10km northeast(Municipality of Castelu), Poarta Alba – 11km southeast, Izvorul mare – 12km south, Tortoman -12km northwest and the town of Cherna voda – 32km west.
Project „Culture in Eternity“, code: ROBG-423
Project value (ERDF): 1, 199, 667.16 €
It is implemented by Elena Municipality in partnership with Medgidia Municipality, Constanta county, Romania.
Project „Culture in Eternity“ is cofinanced by the European Union through European Regional Development Fund under the Interreg V-A Romania – Bulgaria Programme.
The Culture in Eternity project is directly linked to the principles of sustainable development and actively promotes equal opportunities, non-discrimination and gender equality.